Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Waterloo, Promise to love you forever more

We saw sun today, so we hit the road in search of three more bridges: The Waterloo (#13) and Dalton (#12) in Warner  and the Henniker (#63) in...Henniker.

We decided to hit bridge #12 first....so of course we found #13.    This bridge has a sign on a main road.  Maybe our mission should be to raise money for the covered bridge signs to be replaced?  Only 2 out of 6 of our bridges so far have been marked.  This led us to finding the Telephone Museum though, so maybe we shouldn't complain.


Waterloo #13


This bridge is open to traffic, and despite its small size, several times Ellen and I had to climb up the side of the bridge to avoid being hit by a car.  Ellen is holding on for dear life. 


This unfortunately has started a strange trend of Ellen climbing to get better pictures.


This bridge has a Town Lattice Truss and lots of graffiti, but I believe Ellen will discuss that.


The Waterloo was built in 1840.  These are my "old time photos".  Indulge me...



I call this one "Portrait of Ellen in Sepia"



We had a lot of fun in the Waterloo.  It was so nice to be outside without the rain.  I should add that a man was fishing when we got there.  I am not sure if he was done fishing or if we were enjoying the bridge too much, but he was not there when we left.










Dalton #12




It is painful to admit that we drove by this bridge four times before we found it. 
No sign.  Fail.




The Dalton looked like the type of bridge that would have a troll living underneath. 
Don’t worry; it’s a cute troll.




 Pretty sure that I have a bridge obsession. I should confess that I get really excited about learning new things.   Notice the metal bars supporting the truss.  This is also the first time I recognized a Queenpost (the post on the left).  Built in 1853.  Cost $630.12--very expensive.

Detour

I might have to admit that as a navigator I get distracted.  I found our next bridge on the map and gave Ellen excellent directions. We went straight there--no detours, no wrong turns.  Only problem--the bridge looked familiar.  It is the Rowell (#9).  We went there last week.  I brought us to the wrong bridge.


I am holding up two fingers- because we saw this bridge twice.





Turns out that visiting the Rowell (#9)  again was awesome.  I did some research this week and found out that the Rowell has a Burr Arch Truss, and I didn't really know what that was at the time.  I think the Burr Arch is my favorite type of truss.  So pretty.






I was so excited that we went back to the Rowell that I left the car door open.  When we returned to the car we were lucky that it was still there....with our purses.



This is the map I used to make my mistake.
Henniker #63
 I would love to tell you that the Henniker was an easy find.  Today we drove all around Henniker Village looking for this bridge until a friend from school (school Ellen) texted me that the bridge was on the NEC campus.  We found it shortly after that.

It was built in 1972 and refurbished in 2008.  I am still not sure how an $80,000 bridge on a college campus made it to the New Hampshire Historical Bridge List, but it was there, so we went.


It is super cute and romantic.

Then we went inside...




This bridge has many electrical outlets.  Really State of NH?  Outlets?! This is a "historical" bridge.  What are people going to do? Charge their phones? Dry their hair?  Why does this bridge need outlets?  So sad.

rant, rant, rant



I felt better about Ellen climbing the sides of this bridge.  It is newer construction, but there was quite a drop. Maybe Ellen has a pic of that.



I did take a picture of Ellen jumping.  This was necessary.  There was a sign that read
 "No Bridge Jumping."


Awesome day.  This is going to be a great summer.


No comments:

Post a Comment