Sunday, April 28, 2013

Vermont Loves Covered Bridges and We Love Vermont!

Vermont Loves Covered Bridges and We Love Vermont!


#1 Cornish Windsor (Windsor, Windsor County) 9:35am

As we began our adventure into the Green Mountain State, we had to enter via our first Vermont Covered Bridge, the Cornish Windsor!  This is the longest covered bridge in New Hampshire, crossing the Connecticut.  This bridge debuted during our Fourth of July Bridgeapalooza
  23 Bridges in One Day (4 of 5)








We decided against running through it this time.  We settled for a quick jump out of the car.





It was worth a bridge pose.  We were rusty.




















#4 Martins Mill (Hartland, Windsor County) 9:47am


Our first new covered bridge of the day came in the form of Martins Mill.  This bridge is so close to the highway that  it sounded like car were speeding towards us.  We spent most of the time on this bridge concerned that we were going to be hit by a car.  This bridge made us very jumpy. Not a peaceful way to start the day!












 

There was also an abandoned structure with inappropriate  graffiti.  I decided not to take a picture of it as this is family friendly blog. 














#5 and #6 Willard Twin Bridges: West and East (Hartland, Windsor County) 10:29am

 The next stop was a first for us: Two bridges end to end!  This is the first time (other than the model next to the Nissitissit) that we could take photographs of one bridge from another.  




                                                                Two bridges!

We started with the newer bridge.  Built in 2001, the West Twin was very clean.







Don't jump off either bridge!  




While I get the life saving message, perhaps they should put this sign on both bridges.  













 This bridge was surprisingly well lit.  It allowed us to take some inside shots.











The East Twin was an older version of the West.  This was also the first bridge where we found evidence of horses.  








 









 





There was a beautiful s shaped waterfall cascading down rocks. 







#7 Quechee Gorge and Quechee Covered Bridge (Hartford, Windsor County) 10:57am, 11:47am

We went to Quechee to see a bridge, the gorge, and let's be honest, to eat Cabot Cheese.

We started with the gorge.  







I am not sure why I think crossing open bridges over great heights is going to be a good idea.  I hate heights.  It is not that I think I am going to fall.  It is that I have a  fear that I will lose my glasses.  It makes me really nervous. Perhaps if I ever got contacts, I would no longer have this fear...I am also afraid that I will drop my phone/ camera.  I will need to get contacts and a phone safety strap, then I will let you know if my irrational fear is over.




My pictures are not that great as I clutched my cell phone to my chest.  I have a sneaking suspicion that Ellen's photographs are more detailed.  She has no problem hanging over railings.  


This is a picture of Ellen with trees.  I couldn't get a picture of Ellen with the gorge because I was scared.  Irrational fear 1, Natalie 0.  








 


After the gorge, we went Cabot cheese tasting.  After sampling many different cheeses, we decided that Smoky Bacon Cheddar, Garlic and Herb Cheddar, and Colby Jack needed to come home with us.  We also purchased some maple syrup.  Now I want pancakes, and waffles, and those maple cones that Line makes....


but I will settle with eating cheese.   











Vermont covered bridge bloggers love cheese.

Finally we made it to the Quechee Covered Bridge.  One of my new favorite bridges.  This one was opened in December 2012 after being destroyed by Hurricane Irene,  The new bridge is modeled after the old one.


 





 

As we arrived, so did a school bus full of high school geometry students.  We chatted with their teacher, who took them to the bridge to photograph and measure everything they could.  It was awesome to see so many students excited about covered bridges.  I even snuck a peek at their homework.  Loved it!


 



 


Future bridge bloggers?














The Quechee Covered Bridge also overlooks a dam and the Simon Pierce studio and restaurant.  I loved the rainbow.  This one is going on my short list!









I think that this is the only picture of me on my camera! 












This kid kept leaning out the window.  Get out of my shot!





Thanks.










#8 Taftsville Bridge (Woodstock, Windsor County) 12:06pm

Woodstock was hard hit by Irene, so we weren't too shock when we arrived at the Taftsville and found that it was gone. 






The best part was that the town of Woodstock is rebuilding this one too!








 Our first covered bridge building experience!




Bridge builders= my heroes! 








We can't wait to return when this one is done--check out that arch!




















#9 Lincoln Bridge (Woodstock, Windsor County) 12:27pm

After a detour and some wrong turns, we ended up that the Lincoln instead of the middle.  Thanks to the covered bridge book that Ellen got me for my birthday, I was able to identify it as the Lincoln.  


 












Vermont loves arches..another reason why I love Vermont!







Didn't I just say that Ellen loves to climb things?






Which brings me to my covered bridge rant.  Vermont, why do you not label your bridges?  No signs! No markers!  Put a plaque up at least!

The town of Woodstock labels their bridges!  See!  You can do this too!











#10 Middle Bridge (Woodstock, Windsor County) 12:41pm








Be careful on this one!












Another label! Great job, Woodstock!








At this point in the day it was 77 degrees.  Hello, summer!


School is going to be rough on Monday.




The Middle Covered Bridge in downtown Woodstock is really cute.


The other side of this bridge is white.  Strange.






This one was so peaceful.  Between the weather and the cute scenery, this is going to be hard to beat!
















Woodstock Town Green




  Woodstock is my favorite covered bridge town in Vermont so far!















#11  Teago Bridge (Pomfret, Windsor County) 1:07pm





Our covered bridge book warned us that the Teago Covered Bridge is private, so we parked on the main road and walked a ways.

This is as close as we got.  We wanted to respect their privacy.




It's cute.  I would take one on my driveway!









#12 Pickle Barrel Night Club Covered Bridge (Killington, Rutland County) 1:54pm

In this trip, we had only planned to do Windsor County, but Ellen was so exited about the name of our next covered bridge, we had to go there in this session.

 





We drove up Killington Road and were shocked to see snow on top of the mountain!












We drove to the Pickle Barrel Night Club to see their claim to fame-- a covered bridge in the backyard!














This bridge seems to be the site of a lot of partying. 






 We decided to leave the bridge when this piece of metal seemed to be covering some flaw in the bridge.  That and it shook.  Reason enough for me to move on!











#13 Unidentified Covered Bridge aka Zebra Bridge (Windsor County)


What happened next was too strange to make up. We didn't even record the time, because it was too bizarre.



 





We stumbled upon a covered bridge.  






              

                 

  Next to a grave marker for a moose.







 Next to a barn.





                   
                           and a zebra.





That's right...and a zebra.







We have no idea if this bridge has a name, but we will settle for the UCB or the Zebra bridge.


We also kept our distance as this appeared to be  a private driveway bridge for a zoo animal.





#14 Bests Covered Bridge (West Windsor, Windsor County) 


At this point we were still excited about the zebra sighting, but I imagine this was around 2:45ish.  









This covered bridge had mini arches!  So cute!






It also appeared to be victim of an accident.  Be careful with our covered bridges!





Ellen had to climb the mini arch!






































#15 Bowers Covered Bridge (West Windsor, Windsor County) 3:02 pm






Another bridge under construction in Windsor County!

This county sure loves to repair and replace broken down bridges.  New Hampshire should take a page from their book!








Vermont Bridge Day 1 in the books! 





No comments:

Post a Comment